By Jerri Stroud, BBB Editor
Are you finding the hustle and bustle of the holidays overwhelming? Worried about whether that gift card you want to buy is legit? Do you have doubts about adding that puppy your family’s been begging for right now? Need information to help you avoid scams and identity theft?
Every year, BBB produces a series of news releases loaded with tips for the holidays. It’s our holiday gift to consumers.
Topics range from finding seasonal jobs to online shopping to bringing a new puppy home for the holidays. Just click on the topics below to get to the releases. Be sure to check the tips list at the end of every release.
- Seasonal jobs — Make sure you’re prepared for an interview and know what questions to ask if you’re looking for extra work at the holidays.
- Online shopping — Know how to find out if an online store is trustworthy and how to keep your personal information safe.
- Holiday deals — Is a sale really a good deal? Here’s how to check.
- Holiday scams — Some scams are more prevalent during the holidays. Read these tips to protect yourself.
- Puppies for the holidays — Puppies aren’t always the ideal holiday gift. Here’s how to see if a puppy will do well at your family’s holiday and avoid puppy scams.
- Charitable giving — Ask good questions when allocating your charitable donations.
- Gift cards — Check terms closely to be sure a gift card can be redeemed by the person who receives it where he or she wants to use it.
- Returning gifts — Each store has its own unique return policy. Here’s how to minimize return hassles.
- Layaway — Read layaway agreements closely to to understand the terms.
No matter what you do, check with BBB before you patronize a merchant, hire a contractor or do business with any other company. BBB Business Profiles and BBB Charity Reviews provide valuable information that can help you find a trustworthy organization.
Go to bbb.org for more tips and helpful information or call us directly at 314-645-3300.