Fun Runs can be a great way to leverage the popularity of running and walking to benefit charities, but some cancellations of races shortly before the scheduled events are a cause for concern, Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises.
These BBB tips can help you avoid disappointment and be sure your donation is going to a transparent charity:
- Do your research. Check out the company’s BBB Business Review or BBB Charity Review before signing up at www.bbb.org or by calling 314-645-3300.
- Understand the terms and conditions. In some cases, promoters say on their websites that they don’t offer refunds, but many consumers don’t read the fine print before agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Check with the venue. Contact the city, park or other venue to confirm that promoters have filed necessary paperwork to schedule the event.
- Pay with a credit card. Charges made on a credit card can be disputed after a purchase, whereas debit, cash or wire transfer transactions cannot.
- Keep documentation of your order. After completing the online registration process, you should receive a confirmation receipt. Print out and keep a copy of the confirmation and any supporting documentation for future reference.
- Check out the charity. If the event promoters claim a portion of the proceeds will go to charity, check the charity out on www.bbb.org. If you have any doubts, call the charity to confirm that they are benefitting from the run. Be wary of charities with names that sound like or are similar to established charities.