- Know what you want. Lawn care and landscaping companies provide many services, so it is important to decide what services and products are appropriate for your needs and budget. What do you want the yard, patio or deck to look like when the job is complete?
- Ask around. Ask friends and family what lawn care companies they use. If you’re considering a major project like a deck or patio, ask friends if you can see their projects and ask how it was to work with the contractor.
- Check the company out with BBB at www.bbb.org. BBB Business Reviews provide important background on businesses, such as how long they’ve been in business, who owns them and how they resolve complaints.
- Ask for a lawn inspection and free estimate. Lawn care companies that quote a price without seeing your lawn cannot be sure what you need. A landscaper will need to measure the area where the patio or deck will go and consider access to the yard. Quality companies will offer an estimate only after they see what they are working with.
- Request a written contract. A contract should clearly state the services you will receive, as well as how you will pay for it. If you are contracting for a recurring service, it should state how often the company will mow your lawn and when you will be billed.
- Remember the rule of thirds. If you’re getting a new patio, deck or major landscaping, consider paying a third of the contract amount to secure the contract, a third when the work is half done and the final third only after the job is completed and you are satisfied with the work.
BBB has lots of BBB Accredited Businesses that provide lawn care, landscaping, patios, decks, fences and other outdoor services. You can find them on our website and Request a Quote to get them to contact you.